Saturday, July 24, 2010

I've found my stride with JT6M

The 6m Sporadic E season ended up well for me this year. I worked a number of double hops to the west coast and managed to get some DX in Bermuda, Spain, Portugal and Cuba this year. Now that things are slowing down, I'm re-focusing back on the digital protocols.

I had played around with FSK441 on 2m meteor scatter, and had made a few other JT6M contacts, but I never really got the hang of it. This morning, that all changed.

I woke up early and spent a few hours hanging out on Ping Jockey (site for scheduling meteor scatter contacts). Finally, around 9am I worked WA4CQG in Alabama, the onto other guys in Oklahoma, Indiana and Illinois. Now, unfortunately, these were not likely meteor contacts, but rather terrestrial via sporadic E. But it was still a good exercise to get the rhythm of the QSO. I still had some questions on which reports to send, and whether I should run first or second.

That's all worked out, and I now look forward to completing my first FSK441 Meteor Scatter QSO on 2m. I've decoded other peoples pings, and (via ping jockey) know that other people have decoded my pings as far out west as Missouri. So, now it's just time to wait for the right conditions...

No comments:

Post a Comment